Pet Passport (EU)




This is the link to the government website please ensure you have checked everything before you travel:

The Government is committed to achieving a deal with the EU. But in the unlikely event we do not reach an agreement, we have a duty as a responsible government to plan for every eventuality.

To make sure your pet is able to travel from the UK to the EU after 29 March 2019 in any scenario, you should contact your vet at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice.

Rules for pet travel

The rules for taking your pet to any EU country will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal and is treated as an unlisted country.

You must get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel.

However, to allow effective contingency planning in the worst case scenario of the UK not being granted third country status, you’ll need to take the following steps to make sure your pet can travel after 29 March 2019:

1.You must get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination. You’ll need to talk to your vet about whether you need a rabies vaccination or booster before this test.

2.Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.

3.The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful (Your pet must have a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml).

4.You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.

5.You must take your pet to a Official Veterinarian (OV), no more than 10 days before travel to get a health certificate.

If there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.


Due to a dramatic rise in the number of stolen animals being taken abroad, DEFRA have advised us that the Pet Passport which you have can only be in the name of a single person.
If anyone, other than the person on the passport takes your pet abroad using the Pet Passport, it must be accompanied by a letter, signed by the passport holder, giving them permission for that person to take the animal abroad. This applies even if that person is your spouse. Passports cannot be held in joint names.
Only fill in the second name, address etc. if there has been a change of ownership or address, and draw a line across the first entry. If this section is filled in it takes precedence and the first name, address etc. is no longer valid.
Write and sign a letter to accompany the passport giving permission for anyone else who might take your pet abroad without you and keep this with the passport.

All information provided here is subject to change and you are strongly advised to see guidance from the Defra website if you are considering taking your pet abroad.

New Passports and Guidelines were introduced in December 2014 and aim to strengthen enforcement across the EU and improve the security and traceability. The old style passports are still valid and there is no requirement to change these if you have one.  Please refer to the Defra Information here.


Under the new P.E.T.S. legislation it is now possible to take cats and dogs to certain countries in Europe and return them to the UK without the need for 6 months quarantine PROVIDING THAT they have been correctly microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and certificated under the scheme (for details of the requirements under the P.E.T.S. scheme please refer to the travel scheme 'Information sheet'

Our current charges for this service can be found on the Prices page.

Rest of the World

The regulations for non-EU passports are complicated, we will carry out the relevant tests and prepare the export papers which are applicable at the time. The price is dependant on the Country being exported to.  You will also need to employ the services of a Pet Transporter and they will be able to advise on the regulations that you have to adhere to.